If you are like me, you find a quote that speaks to you at a particular place in your life, and you hold on to it. It speaks to what you are feeling or struggling with, and seems to give a perspective that helps you sort through your personal brand journey.
The first quote, “The two most important days of your life are the day you were born, and the day you realize why.” Mark Twain, is particularly meaningful to me and my work because personal branding is all about unleashing who you are (why you are here), instead of focusing on what you are (job title).
2. “Whatever the self describes, describes the self.” Jacob Boehme
3. “Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful.” John Wooden
4. “If you want to go fast, go alone. If you want to go far, go with others.” African proverb
5. “We cannot make it rain, but we can see to it that the rain falls on prepared soil.” Henri Nouwen
6. “To be happy, drop the words ‘if only’ and substitute instead the words ‘next time.’” – Smiley Blanton
7. “Do what you can, with what you have, where you are.” Theodore Roosevelt
8. “Fortune befriends the bold.” John Dryden
9. “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life… have the courage to follow your heart and intuition.” Steve Jobs
10. “You are younger today than you will ever be again.” Anonymous
11. “You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream.” C.S. Lewis
12. “Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going.” Jim Ryuh
13. “Do not be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better. What if they are a little coarse, and you may get your coat soiled or torn? What if you do fail, and get fairly rolled in the dirt once or twice? Up again, you shall never be so afraid of a tumble.” Ralph Waldo Emerson
14. “Be brave. Take risks. Nothing can substitute experience.” Paul Coelho
15. “Adversity introduces a man to himself.” Albert Einstein
16. “Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.” Winston Churchill
17. “Courage is being scared to death… and saddling up anyway.” John Wayne
18. “Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else…” Buddha
19. “Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.” Christopher Robin to Pooh
20. “The starting point of all achievement is desire.” Napoleon Hill
Please visit Reputation360Book.com for access to my advice about personal branding and developing a sustainable reputation and career, a free cheat sheet and links to my books and DVD.
If you are former military and are transitioning to a civilian career, you will find information customized to assist you in your transition at YourNextMissionBook.com.