As I’ve written about many times, how you show up directly affects the value other people assign you, and your wardrobe is a reflection of your values, confidence, and status. But, one time of year we get to throw all of that strategy and intention to the wind and dress up as whoever we dream to be (even if it’s just for one day). Halloween!
According to Party City, adults seek popular costumes that make them feel, “girly, scary, captivating and unique.” Often times, we do this to escape from our routine, dress up as a character that reflects a side of us we wish we could indulge further, and enjoy the reactions of the people around us.
Consider what these costumes might say about your desire to be someone else:
- The Pirate: Are you secretly desiring a life of on-the-seas challenge and intrigue? Do you wish you were the person responsible for saving the damsel in distress? Do you have an unknown affection for parrots?
- The Hobo: Could you be living out your worst fear (homeless person) through this costume? Or, maybe you are reminding yourself that success to you is defined by your status in the community? Perhaps you wish earning money was easier (think: panhandling)?
- The Princess: I have to admit, this one always intrigued me. Dressing up as a fairy princess–in a modern day business environment–would be great! Are you drawn to tulle? Could a tiara be the hat you’ve been craving to unleash your inner royalty? Maybe being the princess at work is the status you desire?
- The Hobbit, Harry Potter, or Other Popular Movie Character: Wishing you lived in another time or era? Do you long for days when creatures roamed freely down the streets? Perhaps you are indicating a change of career is in your future.
- The French Maid: Hmmm. Not sure I want to guess what desired reputation you seek. Here’s a tip: Keep photos of you in this costume in the Halloween context when you post them online. That new Facebook profile picture could send mixed messages in December.
- Miley Cyrus (from the VMA Awards): Are you channeling your daughter’s wild side? Is there a frustrated performer inside of you? Do you enjoy wearing plastic bikinis?
- The Ghost: Lacking creativity this year? Worried about your figure? Or just getting rid of old bedsheets?
Halloween is a fun holiday, filled with caramel apples, candy and chilly temperatures, and your costume choice can show the playful and creative side of your personal brand. I hope your Halloween festivities are fun, safe, and full of memories. And remember–everything you post online is public!