More and more, I’m being asked by companies, industry groups and individuals, “When do I respond to and refute negative blog posts?”
While I do not promote a steadfast “rule” per se, I believe there are several best practices to adhere to. In this recent video, I highlight many of the suggestions I offer clients. For instance:
1. Consider whether the blogger who is posting negatively about you has a louder voice than you do. A good approach could be to create a blog yourself forwarding content, information and education to balance out the online conversation.
2. Have set protocol and guidelines developed for responding. The last thing you want to do is react out of passion and frustration. Thinking about a standard for online marketing will give you the tools to manage your reputation more effectively.
3. Understand that if you engage the blogger on their turf (to their audience), you might find yourself in a heated battle. Could you refute the content on your own blog instead?
Have you encountered online negative blog posts? How did you, your company or your industry handle it?
As counsel and reputation management expert to international corporations, senior executives, CEOs and business leaders, Lida Citroën launched LIDA360, a reputation management firm, to devise corporate marketing strategies and personal branding processes that drive results. Her programs continuously and intuitively revolve — and evolve — around client business objectives while positioning companies and executives to outshine their competitors.
As an accomplished professional speaker on personal branding and reputation management, her programs, “Stand Out from the Crowd: Leveraging Your Personal Brand” and “Personal Branding & Reputation Management Online” generate rave reviews.
The author of the best-selling guide to reputation management, “Reputation 360: Creating power through personal branding,” (Palisades Publishing, 2011) Lida delivers speaking programs, consulting and coaching on:
– Reputation Management for Executives
– Reputation Management for Professionals
– Reputation Management for Non-Profits
– Personal Branding for Today’s Executives
– Personal Branding & Reputation Management with Social Media
For more information visit www.LIDA360.com or call 800.314.5060.