As you likely know, I am passionate about the use of body language techniques to build and enhance a person’s reputation and brand. In both of my books, I emphasize the importance of body language to demonstrate consistency with the values you want to promote and be known for. Studies show that the impact of non-verbal communications significantly changes or enhances the message we are trying to promote. There are many minor adjustments that can be made to eye contact, handshakes and posture that impact the way someone is perceived.
For instance, an executive who seeks a reputation as a confident leader, yet shirks into a meeting with slumped shoulders and downcast eyes, sends a very different message…. Or a real estate agent who wants her clients to feel safe and taken care of, yet greets them without a handshake or smile tells the clients that she’d rather be somewhere else.
As you build your personal brand and express your brand through your behavior, ask yourself:
- How do I want to be perceived?
- What messages does my body language need to send to create that perception?
- What challenges (body language) do I have?
- Which non-verbal communications will my target audience respond to best?
- In what situations do I typically express my body language (i.e. networking in large groups? Presenting in front of my small team? With senior executives over lunch?)
Here are some great resources to learn more about body language techniques:
Body language influences how you are perceived. Take some time to evaluate your body language and work on any challenges you have. Ask others for feedback! Learn how small tweaks can make a huge difference in how others view your personal brand.